skip to Main Content

You may be eligible to work in Canada during your studies provided that your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off campus. You must also meet all the other requirements as set out by Immigration Canada.

It is important to understand that you can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You cannot work before your studies begin.

Work On or Off campus

As a study permit holder, you may be able to work on campus and off campus without the need to apply for a work permit.

Work as a Co-op Student or Intern

If you are studying a program that includes a required co-op or internship placement, then you will need to get a work permit. You can apply on line for a faster application process. How you apply for a co-op work permit will depend on if you have already applied for your student permit. Talk to us to learn about how to go about getting a work permit under these circumstances.

Work after Graduation

After you graduate, you may be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). This permit would allow you to continue working in Canada after you graduate. Of note is that this is the track to potentially being eligible for permanent residence in Canada. Accordingly, it is advisable that you speak with us to learn about how you can be on track for Canadian citizenship following a PGWP.

Book Free 30-Minute Consultation

Book a free 30-minute consultation with our office to learn how our knowledgeable immigration lawyers can help you start a new chapter in Canada. This is an exciting time for you and the Aitken Robertson team would like to be a part of making that journey happen.

If you are looking to appeal a decision already made on your immigration case, then we will explain how we can advocate on your behalf to challenge the negative decision through the immigration appeal process.

Free Consultation

Request A Free 30-minute Immigration Consultation

  • Date Format: DD slash MM slash YYYY
Back To Top