Skip to content

Getting an education abroad is a great way to earn a degree while exploring a different country. If you are considering doing that in Canada, then you will need to apply for a student permit.

Study permits are required for foreign nationals who wish to study at a Canadian educational institution. To be eligible to study in Canada, you must be accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada. This means that the educational institution must be from a pre-approved list as set out by Immigration Canada. Note that not every college or university is approved. Once you receive this acceptance, you can then apply for permission to study in Canada.

Choosing your Area of Study

It is important to make sure that the courses or programs that you choose in Canada conform to the type of study completed or work experience that you have. The IRCC will be looking to see that your study plan is consistent with your past education. On that note, a case can also be made that someone is looking to study an entirely different program or desires to take a new career path in life.

Proof of Finances

To be eligible for a study permit in Canada, you must be able to prove to IRCC that you are able to financially support yourself during your studies. Moreover, you are required to show that you have enough money to pay all your education fees.

If your family is financially supporting you, then you can show proof of such financial support to help satisfy IRCC that you have the required funds to support your studies.  For minors looking to study in Canada, the IRCC will want to see that satisfactory arrangements for his or her care while in Canada. In addition, IRCC will want to see that applicants have sufficient ties to their home country and that they will return home once they have completed their studies.

It is important to note that certain institutions and lengths of programs will qualify you for off-campus and post-graduate work permits.  If you are hoping to work during or after your studies, it is important to determine in advance whether your chosen school/program qualifies.

Contact us today to see how we can help you with a Student Permit.
Back To Top