Skip to content
Name Change
November 26, 2023

Sex Offender Name Change

Can you name a convicted sex offender? You can probably name more than one. Some of the worst ones garnered widespread notoriety at the time of their arrests and convictions. Everyone knew their names and many of those names are remembered years later.

Certainly if you met a new neighbour and the neighbour had the name of one of those notorious sex offenders, it would give you pause, to say the least.  If you have children and the new neighbour that moved in next door had the name of a famous child sex killer, you would be alarmed and would want to act to protect your children.

Privacy Rights: What Is Protected?
October 3, 2023

Privacy Rights: What is protected?

This case exposed the continuing tension between the growing use of technology to the erasure of personal privacy in both the public and quasi-public domain.

Supreme Court Rules That Impaired Drivers Can Be Given Credit For Pre-Sentence Driving Prohibitions
July 26, 2023

Supreme Court Rules that Impaired Drivers Can Be Given Credit for Pre-Sentence Driving Prohibitions

One of the most severe penalties for those convicted of impaired driving in Canada (especially for first-time offenders who are not facing jail time) is the driving prohibition that comes with a conviction. If you are convicted of a first impaired driving charge, you will be subject to a one-year driving prohibition. This is mandated by the Criminal Code.

National Sexual Offender Registry
June 27, 2023

Sex Offender Information Registration Act (SOIRA)

Did you know that Canada has a sex offender registry? If someone has been convicted of a sex offence in Canada, besides facing jail and probation, they must also register with the National Sex Offender Registry (NSOR).

How Can I Get My Driver’s Licence Reinstated Through The Back On Track And Ignition Interlock Programs In Ontario?
June 19, 2023

How can I get my driver’s licence reinstated through the Back on Track and Ignition Interlock programs in Ontario?

Drivers convicted of impaired driving in Ontario have to fulfill certain requirements before having their licences reinstated. One of these requirements is the Back on Track program from the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario.

Artificial Intelligence And Legal Advice
June 19, 2023

Can I Trust ChatGPT for Legal Advice? Here’s why not.

With the rapid development of artificial intelligence (AI) towards seemingly knowing everything, you may consider whether AI applications such as ChatGPT can also provide accurate legal advice based on Ontario law. In order to test this, we asked the most recent version of ChatGPT (at the time of writing) to write an informative blog about the different streams in Ontario impaired driving law for getting your licence back and having your suspension reduced. The results suggest that AI systems are not yet ready to provide reliable legal advice.

TAP Program
October 11, 2022

The Get Out of Jail (But Stay at Home) Card

Arrested, convicted and “doing weekends”? Being sentenced to do your jail time on weekends—intermittent time—can be a good outcome for you if you have been convicted of an offence that requires you to be incarcerated. Serving your sentence on weekends allows you to lead a relatively normal life during the rest of the week. But there is now the possibility of an even better option: serving your intermittent sentence at home. Sound good? It is a good deal but it comes with conditions.

To Jury Or Not To Jury
June 8, 2022

To Jury or Not to Jury

When facing criminal charges, depending on the severity of the offence an accused person may elect (choose) whether to have a trial by jury or have a judge alone trial.

Careless Driving Smartwatch Insurance
May 27, 2022

Demerit Points & Insurance – Alicia’s Story*

Both major and minor driving infractions receive demerit points. However, more points are applied when a major offence..  

Driving Without Insurance In Ontario
May 20, 2022

Driving Without Insurance in Ontario – Laura’s Story*

Driving without insurance in Ontario is a common occurrence. With the presence of COVID-19, the likelihood of this occurring has heightened.